Worldwide digital games market: April 2017
May 25th, 2017 | Permalink
The worldwide digital video games market grew 9% year-over-year in April to $7.7B. Mobile grew 8% year-over-year along with the free-to-play MMO segment growing 27%. Mobile and F2P MMO’s growth was offset by slight declines in social, premium PC, console, and pay-to-play segments.
Subscribers to the SuperData Arcade have access to detailed performance data on the world’s most popular digital games across PC, console and mobile.
- PLAYERUNKNOWN’s Battlegrounds tops this month’s premium PC digital revenue despite being in Early Access and breaks into the top 10 PC overall list with titans like League of LegendsMarch’s new releases, Mass Effect:
- Andromeda and Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands, experienced sharp declines in digital revenue in April, possibly due to mediocre reviews.
- Hearthstone mobile fully recovers from February, one of its worst months ever in terms of digital revenue, on the back of its latest expansion “Journey to Un’Goro”.
U.S. digital slows down but still shows year-over-year growth. U.S. digital revenue is up from April 2016 but down from March 2017. Free-to-play MMO, console and mobile all had high-single-digit revenue growth, more than offsetting slight declines in social and premium PC revenue.
PLAYERUNKNOWN’s Battlegrounds makes a strong first impression. Bluehole Studio’s PLAYERUNKNOWN’s Battlegrounds, while still in Early Access, made an estimated $34 million in gross digital revenue in April.
EA dominates the top console rankings. FIFA 17 and Battlefield 1 were the top grossing console titles in April. FIFA 17 digital revenue jumped double-digits y/y, a large portion of which came from Ultimate Team. Battlefield 1 was down slightly from March but still showed strong traction for the recent DLC “They Shall Not Pass”.
Overwatch MAU and MTX revenue reach new highs. Growth can be attributed to the newest update, “Overwatch: Uprising“, which includes a lore-centric PvE mode on top of new cosmetic items made available through loot boxes. This marks a high point for Overwatch as it closes in on its one-year anniversary.
Grand Theft Auto V benefits from a new online update. GTA V digital revenue is up from last year. This was primarily driven by an uptick in GTA V Online micro-transaction revenue on the back of the “Tiny Racers” update, which was a unique throwback to retro, top-down, racing games.
- League of Legends
- New Westward Journey Online II
- Dungeon Fighter Online
- World of Warcraft
- World of Tanks
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
- World of Warcraft (East)
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
- FIFA 17
- Battlefield 1
- Grand Theft Auto V
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III
- Persona 5
- NBA 2k17
- Clash Royale
- Monster Strike
- Clash of Clans
- Game of War: Fire Age
- Fantasy Westward Journey
- Mobile Strike
- Honour of Kings
- Pokemon GO
- Lineage 2 Revolution
- Fate/Grant Order