Worldwide digital games market: May 2017
June 23rd, 2017 | /us-digital-games-market/
The worldwide digital video games market grew 9% year-over-year in May to $7.8B. Mobile continued its strong growth, up year-over-year by 16%. Free-to-play and pay-to-play games grew 17% and 12% respectively. Growth in these segments was dampened by a slight 4% decline in the social gaming segment, 7% decline in console, and a large 30% decline in the premium PC market. The PC, and to a lesser degree, console markets had a hard comparison this month due to the release of Overwatch last May.
Subscribers to the SuperData Arcade have access to detailed performance data on the world’s most popular digital games across PC, console and mobile.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 overtook Call of Duty: Infinite Warfarein console total digital revenue, despite being a year older, thanks to a new DLC.
- Injustice 2, released in May, had a strong debut, showing the strength of Batman and Superman IPs.
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege breaks into console top 10 for the first time since January 2016, thanks to the continued “Year Two” support from Ubisoft.
- Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds continued its strong entrance
U.S. digital slows down but still shows year-over-year growth. U.S. digital revenue is up from April 2016 but down from March 2017. Free-to-play MMO, console and mobile all had high-single-digit revenue growth, more than offsetting slight declines in social and premium PC revenue.
U.S. digital revenue up year-over-year. Gamers spent over $1 billion across all platforms in May, up from April, during what is typically a lackluster point in the year. Growth came primarily from mobile revenue.
Overwatch shows continued growth. Overwatch digital revenues are up from April but down from May 2016, when it launched. Additional Content revenue hit a new high in May on the back of a one-year anniversary event.
Injustice 2 has a solid launch on consoles. We estimate Injustice 2 sold almost 500k digital units on console in May after launching mid-month. This puts it at number four in the top 10 console rankings this month in terms of digital revenue.
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 gets another DLC release. Black Ops 3 grew month-over-month and beating out Infinite Warfare. The jump came from the PS4 release of the “Zombie Chronicles” DLC.
Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds has another big month. PUBG had another solid sales month in May, bringing life to date digital sales above 2.5 million units through May.
- Clash Royale
- Clash of Clans
- Monster Strike
- Mobile Strike
- Game of War: Fire Age
- Fate/Grand Order
- Candy Crush Saga
- Lineage 2 Revolution
- Fantasy Westward Journey
- Honour of Kings
*Mobile is iOS and Android only and does not include China App Stores
- League of Legends
- Fantasy Westward Journey Online II
- Dungeon Fighter Online
- DOTA 2
- World of Warcraft
- World of Tanks
- New Westward Journey Online II
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
- FIFA 17
- Grand Theft Auto V
- Battlefield 1
- Injustice 2
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III
- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
- NBA 2K17
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege