Beyond Facebook — Free White Paper
October 26th, 2011 | Permalink
A Look At Local Social Networks in Europe and Latin America
The social gaming market is maturing. In addition to a top-heavy marketplace, where big firms dominate and claim the bulk of revenues, the overall space is also increasingly crowded. This forces companies to spend more on marketing, which in turn shrinks the margins between acquisition cost and average revenue per user.
One strategy to espace this predicament is looking for other markets that are less mature. And so, in collaboration with our friends at Viximo, we wrote a study on the non-Facebook side of social gaming titled: Beyond Facebook — A Look At Local Social Networks in Europe and Latin America.
Does this mean that we believe Facebook is in trouble? No, of course not. We just believe that looking beyond a single platform will serve social game publishers with a global strategy well. So in this study we took a look at social networks like Hyves (the Netherlands), Tuenti (Spain), VKontakte (Russia), StudiVZ (Germany), Yonja (Turkey), Orkut (Brazil) and QuePasa (Mexico).
We also forecasted several markets we believe will prove important to the growth of the overall industry: Netherlands, Spain, Turkey, Germany, Brazil and Russia.
- Social Gaming market will continue to grow, reaching $8.6 billion in worldwide revenues by 2014E.
- Non-Facebook social gaming represents the bulk of revenues, growing from $3.2 billion in 2011 to $5.6 billion by 2014E. Even excluding Asia non-Facebook platforms will total close to 25% of worldwide social gaming revenues.
- Region-specific social networks present significant, incremental distribution with strong monetization and lower customer acquisition costs.
- Key markets for social game developers are Brazil, Germany, Russia and Turkey.
Introduction & Motivation
Market Size & Forecast
- Figure 1: Worldwide Social Gaming Market 2010 – 2014E
- Figure 1a: Worldwide Non-Facebook Social Gaming excluding Asia 2010 – 2014E Figure 2: Worldwide Social Gaming Revenues by Geography (2011)
- Figure 3: Total Number of Social Gamers in Selected Markets (MM) 2009 – 2015E
- Figure 4: Total Social Gaming Revenue in Selected Markets (mil $) 2009 – 2015E
Social Networks: Europe
- Figure 5: Overview of Social Networks in Selected European Markets 2011
Leading Social Networks in Europe
Social Networks: Latin America
- Figure 6: Overview of Social Networks in Latin America
- Table 1: Worldwide Social Gaming Market 2010 – 2015E
- Table 2: Social Gaming Audience & Forecast for Selected Markets
- Table 3: Social Gaming Revenue & Forecast for Selected Markets
Contact & About