Worldwide digital games market: August 2017
September 27th, 2017 | https://www.superdataresearch.com/us-digital-games-market/
The worldwide digital video games market grew 11% year-over-year in August to $7.9B. The premium PC segment shrank 10% year-over-year, despite PUBG’s breakout success, due to tough comparisons against No Man’s Sky release and Overwatch’s first event and new map last year. Social and pay-to-play MMO segments continue to decline at a rate of 4% and 25% respectively. Console and mobile grew 11% and 13%, respectively. The free-to-play MMO market was the big winner this month, growing 28% year-over-year, as more publishers and developers adopt this business model.
Subscribers to the SuperData Arcade have access to detailed performance data on the world’s most popular digital games across PC, console and mobile.
- PLAYERUNKNOWN’s Battlegrounds continues to dominate PC game sales, despite still being in Steam Early Access. PUBG is the number 1 premium PC game for the 3rd month in a row and has overtaken World of Warcraft on the total PC games list for the first time.
- Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft reaches all-time high revenues due to their well-received and unique expansion, titled Knights of the Frozen Throne.
- Football season heats up: Madden NFL 18 beats predecessor out of the gate.
Free-to-Play drives U.S. digital growth. In the U.S., digital games revenue grew year-over-year. This growth was underpinned by a rise in free-to-play digital revenue. This more than offsets the decline in pay-to-play, which was down on a difficult comparison against World of Warcraft: Legion last year.
PLAYERUNKNOWN’s Battlegrounds sales accelerate in August. PUBG had another successful month, bringing total life-to-date sales close to 9 million units through August.
Hearthstone hits all-time revenue peak with “Knights of the Frozen Throne“ expansion. Blizzard’s CCG reached a new high this month. This marks a 15% increase over their previous peak.
Overwatch PC monthly active users reach new highs due to successive updates. On the back of a string of updates that introduced a new character, two new game modes, and the return of the “Summer Games” event, Overwatch recorded its highest MAU yet.
Madden NFL 18 sells over 220,000 digital units at launch. Sales were up compared to last year’s launch month units for Madden NFL 17. We also estimate modest additional content growth on the back of new in-game DLC packs available this year.
- Honour of Kings
- Fantasy Westward Journey
- Lineage M
- Clash of Clans
- Pokemon Go
- Monster Strike
- Clash Royale
- Dragon Chronicles
- Candy Crush Saga
- Fate/Grand Order
- League of Legends
- Fantasy Westward Journey Online II
- Dungeon Fighter Online
- PlayerUnknown’s Battleground
- World of Warcraft
- World of Tanks
- Counter Strike: Global Offensive
- DOTA 2
- Grand Theft Auto V
- FIFA 17
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III
- Battlefield 1
- Madden NFL 18
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy